Sunday, September 16, 2007

Oh God, give me Dog

"Aai, what did you ask from God when you were praying today?" Pavan asked me as I was getting him ready for bed.

During the entire Ganesh Arati that we attended in my neighbor's home, I was busy singing out the various texts. One for Guppa (read Ganesh), one for Shiva, another for Vithoba. Who had the time to pray?

But the parent ego bobbed up and it lied: "Umm..I prayed that my kid doesn't get hurt when he falls, no, I prayed that my Tukru doesn't fall at all. No, actually I prayed that Pavan gets the sense not to run fast when the bell rings and so doesn't fall."

The kid did not look impressed.

"So what did you pray for?" I asked him.

"I prayed for dhammi, that she comes to live with us." he said softly. Dhammi is our dog, she lives in Nagpur, with my mum.

"I see. So this is what it's all about. You want dhammi to come stay with us? "

"Yes."

"And who will feed her?"

"You."

"And who will clean her shit?"

"You."

"No deal, sweetukuttu. Now give me a kiss and go to sleep."

I wonder how long it will take for him to figure out that all he has to do is to promise is that he will look after the dog. And I wonder how long I will be able to lead a dogless life.



Powered by ScribeFire.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are my sweetukuttu! I'm new to the world of blog-commenting, so don't know whether this kind of a comment is allowed or not. If yes, woof, woof! And wag, wag!

PS: Tell Pavan that he can have Dhammi if he promises to take care of her. (The way we promised Aai - and promptly forgot after we got Zulu!)