Sunday, August 12, 2007

I am a home-made cook

Tonight I got lucky. The soup I made as an experiment turned out so delicious, I cant wait till tomorrow so that I can have it again. Since I don't want to forget the recipie, ( I have a very short, short term memory ), I thought I will write it down.

Step 1: Tell your husband you are making soup for dinner. Then you cant back out and make the daily khichdi.
Soup and toast and boiled potatoes.
Yes, there is a full loaf of brown bread in the fridge.
There are enough potatoes that go straight in the pressure cooker.
And, oh shucks, there is only one small packet of maggie tomato soup powder. Not enough for a family of three.

Step 2: Dive into the fridge again. Yes, there is a beetroot and a few tomatoes. Without thinking, mince the above, put them in a pan with four cups of water. Add a little ginger-garlic paste, and bring to a boil.
Use the packet of maggie, salt and pepper, to spice it up.

Step 3: Fry some mungodi's ( no idea what they are called in English, they are made of besan - chana lentil ka powder, I guess) in oil and add them to the red soup. Keep boiling.

Step 4: Open the pressure cooker, cut out the potatoes in four slices each, salt and pepper it. Add some butter. This is a yummy childhood dish that I have rediscovered after becoming a mum.

Step 5: Toast and butter the bread.

And dinner is ready, within twenty minutes.

Extra tip: If your kid has not done his homework while you were cooking, butter the potatoes in front of him, telling him he can have them as soon as he is done, and see how fast and how willingly he winds up.

1 comment:

Akshay Surve said...


I cant wait till tomorrow so that I can have it again. Since I don't want to forget the recipie, ( I have a very short, short term memory ), I thought I will write it down.

Whenever your tomorrow comes don't forget to invite me too. Just loved it n wud love to have it again :p